This a blog about my life and all the things that happen in between plans; deep thoughts, silly stories, and everything else.







12.19.2010

Street Corner Symphony

*Note: Apparently the voting ended this morning at 9, which means I have failed in influencing your vote. But that's okay because I don't want to wield that kind of power anyway. Don't worry, I will finish what I started and show you the other groups I like so you know what to watch for on Monday's 2 and a half hour Finale*

     Day 2, group 2. It is my pleasure to introduce you to Street Corner Symphony. They're a laid back group made up of 2 sets of brothers and some friends thrown in for good measure. They all seem like real, nice guys from Tennessee who enjoy singing and "unpracticing" where, according to them, they not only don't practice but they drink beer while they're not practicing. They've got a great down-to-Earth vibe that just makes you relax and enjoy their work. I really love that there is such an honest connection throughout the group. Every time they perform their passion for making music and their friendship shows through and adds another level to the experience. Plus, their lead singer has been dabbling around in the music business for a while not trying to get something going but so far has just been tossed aside by the record company that singed him. His lead vocals are so touching and heartfelt, he just puts it all out there for us. I think he has more than enough talent to do some big things if he could get under the right management but as we all know, the music industry is like 15% talent, 5% looks (which I wouldn't say he's lacking ;) ), and 80% luck. Hopefully the tight accompaniment and new takes on fun songs that his groupmates are providing will be just extra push he needs to get the attention they all deserve.

Let's take a listen...


     Here's their take on Train's "Hey Soul Sister"

     What I love about this performance is that it still sounds like the song we all sing along to in the car because they were able to identify and build off of the best parts of the existing song and then expand and put their own sound on the other parts. The group who won last year's Sing Off (Nota, check 'em out) were also experts at this, infusing all kinds of genres with their Puerto Rican flavor.
  
     And here is "Creep" by Radiohead

     It's not my favorite song to begin with but I had to put it in here (even over their fantastic Beatles medley, shocking I know) because I was blown away by the emotion and expression that carried the performance from beginning to end. Obviously we see it in the lead vocals, a raw display of talent that goes straight past competition or even performance to the realm of story telling and soul bearing. That is not something you are going to hear from 95% of today's pop artists and certainly not from 99.99% (I don't know why I'm so into percentages tonight) of the a cappella groups covering their songs. And it's not just the lead, the rest of the group is so rock solid and in tune with each other that they succeed in adding a whole other level to the experience. Mad props on this performance.

     Lastly, I give you, my jam, "Down on the Corner" by Creedence Clearwater Revival

     The judges picked this song for them and I don't know how they felt about it but I certainly thought it captured what they are all about. And then they turned around and captured what the song itself was all about, from their subtle but fitting choreography to their down South attitude to the fun way they mixed it up and infused their own personality into it. It was just fun to watch. And may I just point out that there are 6 people there. They are recreating, and even expanding, the sound of a full band who spent who know how much time in a studio putting everything together (though this is CCR so maybe not that much time) with 6 voices. That is no easy feat and they make it look like it is.

     I just can't say enough about these guys and their relaxed, down home style. There is so much talent there and practically no ego. Every time they perform they are locked into making great music and having fun doing it. When you watch you aren't hung up on what they're wearing, how they're dancing, or any kind of under lying tension between them that is showing through, you are able to just relax and truly enjoy the spectacular performance they are putting out for you. Rock on guys!

2 comments:

  1. "The Sing-Off" is SO COOL! I'm glad that you have been posting about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cassidy, I'm glad you like it :) Who is your favorite group?

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!