This a blog about my life and all the things that happen in between plans; deep thoughts, silly stories, and everything else.







12.18.2010

Jerry Lawson and the Talk of the Town

   The first group I thought I would share with you is called Jerry Lawson and the Talk of the Town (mind you there is no order of preference here). I think the first thing everyone notices is that they're all older guys and we think, "Aww, look at the cute old guys in their cute matching suits." but then we here them sing and we (or at least I) are left speechless. I like to think that they are what would happen if the Pips went solo. Through out the competition they have shown an amazing talent for taking all kinds of songs and (from The Stones hits to American folk music) and breathing a new, soulful, R&B, Motown life into them.

          This first video is their performance of "Easy" by Lionel Richie.

     This is their kind of music to be sure. Their lead singer has been around the block a few times putting out quite a few albums with Motown groups that has long since disbanded. He teared me up on the last episode with his comment on how much this second chance in the music business would mean to him (yeah I tear up easily). Jerry has such a classic and soulful R&B voice and the rest of the guys blend and back him up so nicely. It's just fun to listen too, tell me you didn't smile.


     This next clip is their touching rendition of "House of the Rising Sun"

     I almost wish this video included the judges comments so you could see just how blown away they, the professional musicians, were. One comment was that this is the way The Animals wanted it to sound. I was just floored by how much meaning and life they were able to bring to the story and the message of the song through their arrangement. You could just hear the melancholy in the lead and the harmonies groaned and sighed in such honesty that it was truly soul stirring. I don't know about you but I practically felt like I was wandering aimlessly in a New Orleans slum carrying some kind of heart wrenching burden. That is what good music does to you.
    
     This last piece is just because I thought it was really fun (and I love The Stones)

     How did make this whiny (but catchy) Jagger tune so damn soulful? The challenge of that particular episode was to perform a big rock hit and put their own spin on it and I don't think they could have done it any better.

     In summary, Jerry Lawson and the Talk of the Town are
  • adorable
  • incredibly talented
  • soulful (I know I've said that a million times but I think it is the best word to describe their style)
  • honest
  • looking for a second chance
     They all seem to be such kind, down to Earth people and the beautiful music they make together just makes me want to hug them. Which is why you should vote for Jerry Lawson and the Talk of the Town.

   Come back tomorrow so I can show you another wonderful group!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love!